Practice Info

Practice Info

At Charing Surgery we endeavour to work in partnership with patients and their carers to provide the best medical practice.

We consistently score high on the national quality and outcome framework (QoF). 

We are an approved training practice which means that each year we have young doctors working in the practice who are training to be GPs. They are fully qualified doctors with post-qualification experience in hospital medicine. There are also Foundation Year 2 doctors who are also fully qualified and are in their second post qualification year. They will be having regular clinics like other doctors. Trainees all have a GP as their clinical supervisor who is available whenever trainees are consulting. As part of their training, consultations are sometimes videoed with your consent. Videos are an important teaching aid for consultation skills.

The practice was founded around 1910 when Dr Littledale Senior started a practice at Wakely House. He was joined in partnership by his son, Dr “Dick” Littledale in 1936. On his father’s death in 1945 the surgery moved to Ludwell House. In 1953 he took a partner and the surgery moved to its site in Station Road. In 1961 the practice was expanding with two branch surgeries and a third partner was appointed. In 1980 the next-door property was added to give extra space for the Primary Health Care Team. In 1989 a fourth partner was appointed. The new Charing Surgery opened in February 1997. Here we are able to expand the range of services available including a full dispensing pharmacy and various complementary therapies. In 2009 a new extension to the Practice was completed providing 5 new consulting rooms, a community dispensary/pharmacy and an additional waiting room. Also two new treatment suites have been added to enable more scope for consultant-led clinics to be run in future at the practice.

The Practice list is currently open and we are very happy to take registrations. We provide full medical care for 21 villages and communities around Charing, including the dispensing of medicines. Being a rural Practice we cover a large geographic area that covers as far as the villages of Lenham Heath & Egerton to the West, Throwley & Badlesmere to the North, Bethersden & Pluckley to the South and the whole of Ashford. Here we are able to expand the range of services available including a full dispensing pharmacy and various complementary therapies.

The surgery provides disabled access throughout the building. A disabled-user toilet is situated on the ground floor and a lift is available for patients visiting the first floor. We have a large free car park for our patients.

Closed circuit television (CCTV) is installed at the Practice premises for the purposes of staff, patient and premises security. Please click here to read our CCTV statement

Text size: normal | large | larger
Cosmetic Clinic NHS Choices
Visit our Facebook page Follow us on Twitter Visit our LinkedIn page